Re: webcam in skype ok but not in gimp

On 01/28/2010 01:14 PM, Adam Hardy wrote:
I got myself a webcam to skype, and plugged it in the usb port and it works fine with skype, but i want to grab an image from it in gimp or with w3cam or vidcat and it doesn't work.

in gimp, i don't even think i'm in the right menu but i can't find any other menu option than "file / acquire / xsane / device dialog" which gives me the error "failed to open device v4l:/dev/video0: invalid argument"

I can understand that since gimp is probably looking for a scanner but I see other documentation on the net showing gimp with a dialog box showing a mix of scanners and webcams.

In skype, the config shows the webcam under devices as "UVC camera (046d:09a4) (/dev/video0)" so I'm at a loss now.

I tried v4l-conf but that just seems to be for settings on the camera itself, not the OS config.

Any inspirational advice thankfully accepted

Adam

you cloud try cheese,

i tried that ones on my laptop and it worked right away for both pictures and video recording