Re: Question about having an always clean base system in Debian Sid

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:33:53 +0100, Geek87 <geek87@gmx.com> wrote:

> Do you have any idea? Is the technique I used bad and dirty?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Geek87

I don't think it's a good idea. Because if in your example sendmail is
replaced with postfix. Config files will not be magically filled it for
the
new system. Not that the above will happen often. The only thing you
should automate
is installing security updates every night, there is a package for this if
I remember correct.

When security is a concern, and it should, configure IPTABLES after
install before plugging in your system.

It depends on what you'll be using the system for.
I have Debian Samba PDC with DHCP and DNS: I really don't want this to
update just like that. Everything depends on it.

If it's your local desktop, it doens't really matter. But then you don't
have to automate it because you can do it at logon or whatever.

Koen Linders