Re: Root filesystem full; faubackup problem?

James Wu wrote:
> I wouldn't dismiss what Marc was onto. If you do the math, 44G in
> /documents + 11G in the rest of / == 55G, seems to be a bit more than
> coincidence. I know you already tried ls -l /documents/ after you
> umounted but just for curiosity's sake, I wonder what happens when you do:
>
> umount /documents
> du -sh /documents

du -sh /documents/
4.0K	/documents/

I agree with you about 44+11.  The mystery if this is the origin of my
problem, is that we are talking about two separate drives (/dev/hdb1 +
/dev/hda1).

> What is the result of

  umount /documents
  umount /maxtor
  du -x --max-depth=1 / | sort -n

0	/dev
0	/proc
0	/sys
0	/tmp
4	/documents
4	/mnt
4	/opt
4	/selinux
4	/srv
12	/media
16	/lost+found
24	/root
80	/home
4132	/bin
4228	/sbin
4264	/etc
6520	/boot
68740	/lib
179776	/var
637304	/usr
11136816	/backup
44830668	/maxtor
56872608	/

Very interesting!

tim@server:~$ df
/dev/hda1             57677500  57056884         0 100% /
tmpfs                   241824         0    241824   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                     10240       696      9544   7% /dev
tmpfs                   241824         0    241824   0% /dev/shm
overflow                  1024         0      1024   0% /tmp

tim@server:~$ ls -l /maxtor/
total 52
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-05-18 05:36 2009-05-18@05:36:07
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-05-25 05:50 2009-05-25@05:50:07
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-06-01 05:50 2009-06-01@05:50:29
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-06-08 05:50 2009-06-08@05:50:48
drwxrwxr-- 6 root users 4096 2009-06-15 05:50 2009-06-15@05:50:24
drwxrwxr-- 7 root users 4096 2009-06-22 05:52 2009-06-22@05:52:22
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root  4096 2009-07-13 05:54 2009-07-13@05:54:45
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root  4096 2009-07-20 06:02 2009-07-20@06:02:14
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root  4096 2009-07-27 06:02 2009-07-27@06:02:03
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root  4096 2009-08-17 06:01 2009-08-17@06:01:50
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root  4096 2009-09-14 06:04 2009-09-14@06:04:43
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root  4096 2009-09-21 06:03 2009-09-21@06:03:12
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root  4096 2009-10-05 06:04 2009-10-05@06:04:48

So...there is a copy of many OLD faubackups on /dev/hda1!

tim@server:~$ sudo mount /maxtor/
tim@server:~$ ls -l /maxtor/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-09-28 06:06 2009-09-28@06:06:58
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-11-02 06:13 2009-11-02@06:13:59
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-12-07 06:15 2009-12-07@06:15:52
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-12-21 06:16 2009-12-21@06:16:07
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-12-28 06:15 2009-12-28@06:15:57
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2010-01-04 06:17 2010-01-04@06:17:13
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2010-01-11 06:17 2010-01-11@06:17:47
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2010-01-18 06:18 2010-01-18@06:18:44

My backup strategy involves two Maxtor external hard drives, one being
connected for six months and then swapped with the second which has been
stored off site.  Somehow the non-connected Maxtor data has been saved
on /dev/hda1.

My easy solution is to umount /maxtor, and delete all the old backups.

I wonder, maybe faubackup can't cope with disappearing data...?

Thanks for any input.