Re: Installation of packages from backports, unstable and stable.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:59:26PM -0800, evenso wrote:

I should clarify:

> I made sure to set it not to make changes automatically.  But it never asked
> to uninstall a backports package.  (In the ncurses TUI under preferences.)

Meaning the ncurses Text User Interface of aptitude.

> If you do use pinning, I recommend only pinning the backport packages and
> all their dependencies to the backports archive.

Meaning:

Pin: release a=lenny-backports

As in the instructions for pinning on the backports page.

Link: http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faq

BTW, I think there is something more important.

If you are going to maintain a mixed-stable system with those
testing/unstable packages you mention (not a novice endeavor) and upgrade
them or install more, you should hold your release to stable with an
apt.conf file.

/etc/apt/apt.conf

APT::Default-Release "stable";

--