Re: how to set permanent ulimit

On 2010-01-26 at 16:44:33 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> In /etc/security/limits.conf, add the following line:
>
>    database    hard    nofile   10240
>
> In /home/database/.bash_profile add the following line:
>
>    ulimit -n 10240

I just thought of another way, which I think is even better.
In /etc/security/limits.conf, add *two* lines, in this order:

     database    hard    nofile    10240
     database    soft    nofile    10240

That way, you don't have to mess with a bash profile.  And it
should affect daemons too, without modifying their startup
scripts.  If you want the change to affect all users, change
the word "database" to an asterisk (*).  If you want it to
affect all members of a group, use an "at sign" (@) in front
of the group name, such as @sys.