Re: how to set permanent ulimit

On 2010-01-26 at 14:40:23 -0500, Alex Samad wrote:
> have a look at /etc/security/limits.conf
>
> I have 2 lines in there that are not commented
>
> @user hard nofile 2048
> alex hard nofile 4198

That works!  I modified my /etc/security/limits.conf file and added the following entry:

*               hard    nofile          1048

I then shutdown and rebooted.

I login as a normal user and issue

   $ ulimit -n
   1024
   $ ulimit -n 1048
   $ ulimit -n
   1048
   $ ulimit -n 2000
   -bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modifiy limit: Operation not permitted

The limit starts at the default of 1024, just as before.  But ordinary users can raise it
up to and including the new hard limit of 1048.  But they cannot raise it above that.
To raise it above the hard limit you must be root.

Thanks, Alex!