Re: how to set permanent ulimit

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 11:54:49 Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
> How can I set ulimit?
>
> when I give:
>
> ulimit -n 10240

ulimits is an inheritable aspect of processes, like an environment variable.
The ulimit "command" is actually a shell built-in that tell the shell process
to increase its limit.

> ok,
>
> ulimit -n
>
> gives 10240. But. after a few minutes, it 1024 again!

The change will be inherited by all sub-processes (anything that was fork()ed
or clone()d), but it won't change in any other process.  I think you might be
closing your terminal (which normally ends your shell process), then starting
a new one (which starts a different shell process that isn't a sub-process of
the original).

> How can I set the ulimit to be permanently 10240?

Most shells and Xsessions have some file or directory where select user
commands can be placed to execute in the current process (e.g. via the "."
(dot) a.k.a. "source" command in a shell).

.kde/env -- for KDE sessions
.zshrc -- (among others) for zsh sessions

Consult your shell and/or DE documentation for details.