Re: Security Support for Debian 4.0 to be terminated

On Sunday 24 January 2010 04:26:11 Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, green wrote:
> > Bret Busby wrote at 2010-01-23 00:03 -0600:
> >> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> > [H]ave you tried editing the lilo.conf file as suggested?
>
> And, what changes do I need to make to the lilo.conf file?

I don't use lilo.  I can't help you here.

> > And then you could edit the kernel-img.conf file as suggested.
> >
> >>   If you have already done so, and you wish to get rid of this
> >> message, please put
> >>    "do_initrd = Yes"
> >>
> >>   in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
>
> If you had read my message that I posted, the instructions are sorely
> lacking in detail.

WTF?  Really?

You open /etc/kernel-img.conf in any text editor.  You will probably need root
permissions to view/edit/save the file.  You create a new line with the
contents "do_initrd = Yes" after the header.  You save the file.  How exactly
would you phrase that in this message?  I think the current version is rather
clear.

> The instructions more or less say, "You need to do this. If you can
> find out how to do it, good luck to you, because we are not going to
> tell you how to do it. You are on your own."

They say you need to add "some specific text" to /a/text/file.  How should we
make that clearer?

I made the Etch to Lenny migration twice over the past year.  I barely skimmed
the release notes, and it was easy bordering on trivial.  I did abort the
kernel upgrade at least once, in order to editing /etc/kernel-img.conf.