Re: string occurrences

Quoting roberto on 2010-01-23 15:33:53:
> is there any linux built-in utilities to count how many times a string
> occur in a text file ?

I don't know of any actual utilities to do so, but there's a handy
little pipeline that I use as a generic string-counter that, so far,
works for all files I've tried, printable or not.

$ strings $yourFile | grep -oe '$yourString' | wc -l

where $your{File,String} are the file you want to search, and the string
(actually a regex) you want to search for, respectively.

These are extremely powerful commands, and from my experience are all
fairly universal. For more information, see their relevant manpages:
strings(1), grep(1), and wc(1).

--
                                   _
   ASCII Ribbon Campaign Against  ( )   Brian Ryans