Chroot+ldap problem

Hi, I have this bizarre problem and I would really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction to solve it.

I have a set of two amd64 machines with Debian Lenny. Machine 2 reads all the users' information from the Machine 1 through LDAP. Also, in Machine 2 I set up a dchroot environment for 32 bits compatibility ( following http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/426).

In addition to the above instructions, on this Machine 2, I set up /etc/libnss*, /etc/ldap/*, and /etc/nsswitch.conf both for the amd64 and for the i386 environments. I have no problems if I'm in the native amd64 mode. However, once I enter the i386 dchroot, some strange things happen:

1) For users from uid=1000 to uid=1031, I get an error if running 'whoami' (Cannot find name for user ID XXXX) and if I run 'id' , I get all the correct group numbers but no translation to group names in parenthesis as it should be. 'ls -l' also only lists group numbers but no names. 2) for user 1032 I cannot even change into the dchroot, I get the error "E: Group '1,031' not found"

I'll be happy to send the relevant contents of the configuration files that are requested.

Thank you very much!

Patricio

     . .         /.                              Patricio Rojo
    .       *   /`'\  .             Departamento de Astronomia
       .       /    ./ \..                Universidad de Chile
            ../   .'      \.                      Casilla 36-D
         ../    /    ../    \                  Santiago, Chile
       ./     ./   ./        \                  +56 2 977 1136
     ./     ./            \   \.            pato@das.uchile.cl