Re: trying to restrict exim smtp to specific IP

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 17:58:35 Adam Hardy wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on 20/01/10 21:23, wrote:

> >> I did that to begin with, since I had to install exim myself anyway. The
> >>  option to be an "internet server; mail is sent and received using SMTP"
> >> is the closest, but as above, I don't want to receive.
> >
> > Use that setting.
>
> Not allowed to do that - apparently it would foobar the local network where
>  the host server of my vserver sits. I've got to use the public IP address
>  if I configure this, but I'd feel happier if I didn't have to listen on
>  port 25 at all. I don't want any incoming mail - I just want to send.

If you want to send, you'll have to use that setting.

You can then further configure exim4 not to listen, if you so desire.  I have
mine listening on 127.0.0.1:25 ONLY.  Some programs (not mail/mailx) that send
mail will expect a MTA listening on localhost and use it, so if you don't
listen on 127.0.0.1:25, expect things to break in the future.