Re: Fixing time zone

On Tue,19.Jan.10, 16:52:56, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> 09:20:41 -0800 equals 17:20:41 +0000, not 18:21:18 +0000.  The friend suggests
> that my time zone "+0000" should be "+0100" i.e.  CET.
>
> Can anybody suggest how I can recover this?

To set the timezone it should be enough to do

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

...but,

- do you have Windows installed (and used) on the same computer?
- is the BIOS clock set to UTC or local time?
- what does you system think about it? (check UTC= setting in
  /etc/default/rcS)

For a linux-only computer it is recommended you set UTC=yes, make sure
your BIOS clock is set to UTC and configure the timezone via the above
command.

OTOH Windows expects the BIOS to be set to *local* time, so you would
want to set UTC=no, but you still have to set the correct timezone
because internally Linux is using UTC.

If you make changes to the clock you might also experience issues on the
next (re)boot, because e2fsck doesn't like it if the last mount time of
a filesystem appears to be in the future. This is easily fixed with a

fsck.ext3 /dev/sdXY

from the "maintenance shell", but you should be prepared for it ;)

Regards,
Andrei