OT: Camcorder .VRO format

I purchased a Cannon DC410 camcorder.  Took some very nice videos that
totem can play but I can't edit the file which has the .VRO extension.
A Google search turned up commercial packages to convert the file to a
.VOB file and a note that this is really an mpeg-2 file which apps may
play if the extension is changed to .mpg.  Totem plays it that way too
but Cinelerra's viewer thinks either of these is an image file.  ffmpeg
-format does not include the .VRO extension and has problems compressing
the .mpg file.

I have a yet unanswered post to the cinelerra mailing list regrading the
.VRO extension.

If anyone has any experience with this format or suggestions of things
to try I would really appreciate the help.

Tom