Re: 2.6.32-trunk-686 kernel (+some other upgrade?) can't see home file system

green wrote:
Paul Scott wrote at 2010-01-15 17:24 -0600:
Paul Scott wrote:
As reported in another thread a reboot of my sid system on Dec. 26
to a 2.6.32-trunk-686 kernel finds errors with my the file system
in my home partition and won't mount it.

Now we have a new thread, so context is lost. It is easier (for those of us viewing our mail as threads) to help you when we can see all the thread's messages grouped together in our mail clients.

Totally understood.

1.  I hadn't gotten responses for a while on that thread.

2. After getting my system to boot with it's home directory the two mail threads are stored in two different places for me.

3. I'm not sure if the other thread had much relevance now. The live CDs I used are not necsssary now.

That system is now running fine with a 2.6.30-2-486 kernel.  This
is a 40GB hard drive where:

/dev/hda9 is /
and
/dev/hda10 is /home
The 2.6.31-1-686 kernel will also not mount the home partition but a
2.6.30-2-686 kernel will.

So 2 kernel packages on one sid system, one does and one does not mount the home partition.

Yes.

Have you checked "dmesg | tail" and compared after attempting the mount with each kernel?

I have looked at dmesg and syslog. I saw suspicious stuff but haven't made an exact comparison.

I may not be able to get back to this right away since classes start that I have to prepare for and at least I have a working system.

Thanks for your persistence,

Paul