Re: question about sending mail and postfix

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Hardy [mailto:adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com] Sent: January 18, 2010 8:32 AM
To: debian-user
Subject: question about sending mail and postfix

This is possibly an exceptionally easy question to answer because I feel
like all the documentation I've read about sending mail and postfix
starts at step 2, and step 1 is just common knowledge that I somehow
failed to pick up.

I have a new server online with lenny that I want to configure to send
all its mail for root to my email address, and that's all. I don't want
it to receive any email or relay or anything else.

I set this up a few years back with postfix and now trying to recreate
this setup, I am running into the problem that the mail command isn't
installed. It obviously doesn't come with postfix and there appears to
be a huge choice of packages that I could choose from in the debian
repositories, but isn't there a default? My guess is that my hosting
service installed such a stripped-down version of lenny that I didn't
get it.

James Wu on 18/01/10 14:50, wrote:
> Assuming you can install new packages, the mail command comes in the
> package bsd-mailx. Otherwise, you can try using the Postfix sendmail
> command. You'll probably have to read the man page as the flags are
> different from mail.

Hi James
thanks. Isn't bsd-mailx just a random choice from all of those listed when I search the repositories?

Adam