mounts via init.d early in the boot process

I have a system where I use a readonly nfs root with a local hard drive and I
need to have some local settings for each computer (mainly /etc/hosts, ip
address for network devices, hostname and nfs server settings). I do that by
mounting the local disk on /local and then overiding some settings using
unionfs (will be happy to hear of a simpler method).

Anyway, I have a link /etc/rcS.d/S05mount_local which is supposed to run
after /dev is populated and before most other things and the main thing it does
for this purpose (or the main thing that fails) is a call to
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /local
with the error /dev/sda1 already mounted or /local busy
since root is an nfs root then it should be mounted

This happens also on the main node where /dev/sda1 is root and also on the slave nodes with nfs root.
Running the same script after the machine finished booting works fine and the
script used to work find buffer so it's something pretty recent, probably in
unstable, that broke it.

Any idea what it is or how to fix it?

Thanks