Re: USB disk shows up late at boot

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 internal ATA HDD's and 2 disks in external USB enclosures.

When you boot (this is Sid) the 2 USB disks report their presence between the messages:

and
'Init 2.86 booting'
in the very beginning of the boot process.

Now the funny part: in my homegrown kernel both show up together. But with recent Debian kernel images only one shows up. I have a delay of 10 secs. in initramfs-tools but that makes no difference.

The 2nd USB disk shows up eventually, but after 'Init 2.86 booting' when it is too late to be of use by fstab.

This isn't the first time I've asked this, but nobody seems to have an answer.

This has been solved by Ben Hutchings and was reported as

The solution was to put ums-cypress in /etc/initramfs/modules and rerun update-initramfs -u for that kernel. Linux debian 2.6.32-trunk-686

The explanation I don't get.
You would have thought that the homegrown kernel would fail because it does not use ums-cypress, the Debian kernel does.

Hugo