Re: desktop mobo in a 19 inch

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 1/14/2010 12:13 PM:
> On Thursday 14 January 2010 06:40:33 randall wrote:
>> if i buy a ATX 19" rack case with included power supply, i can simply
>> put any ATX desktop mobo it it right?
>
> Yes, the ATX is the MB form-factor.  All ATX mobos fit into a rectangle with
> specific dimensions.  All ATX cases can hold at least a rectangle with
> specific dimensions.[1]

This is not entirely correct.  MicroATX and ATX motherboards will fit in a
standard 19" ATX rackmount case as the core mounting hole pattern is shared by
both, but extended ATX motherboards (EATX) will not fit in most standard ATX
cases, whether rackmount or pedestal.  There are only a handful of EATX mobos on
the market, and (almost?) all of them are quad socket server boards.  The OP
probably doesn't have such a monster, so the answer to his question is probably
yes, it will fit.

>> this would a 2U case since i know it can get cramped in the height.
>
> Yeah, you'll have to watch the height of any PCI cards you want to use, as
> well as processor fans.  A normal ATX tower case is generally as wide as a
> 3-4U ATX rackmount case is tall.[2]

Virtually all 2U cases require "low profile" PCI cards and most require a PCI
riser card and mount the cards horizontally.  Not all motherboard will work with
PCI risers, especially those with a mix of PCIe x16, PCIe x4, and standard PCI.
 If your mobo has an AGP video card forget it, because AGP risers do not exist.

There may be a few 2U cases that have horizontal risers that allow full height
PCI cards but these would be few and far between.  Some 3U cases will accept
full height PCI cards, while some are designed to strictly allow low profile PCI
cards directly or via risers.  You have to go to a 4U or larger case to make
sure *all* PCI cards will fit without worry.

> [1] It's a bit more complex than that, but basically the "ATX" moniker on both
> indicates they will fit.

The devil is always in the details.  Thoroughly research the components before
checkout.

> [2] I usually estimate that a "U" is about 1.5 in. or 37.5 mm.

Your estimation is wrong.  One EIA/TIA Rack Unit, or "U", is exactly 1.75".  It
was defined in standard EIA-310-D in 1992, has been with us for 18 years now.
There shouldn't have to be any guess work or "estimating" involved here. ;)

--
Stan