Re: how do bug fixes get incorporated to packages?

On Thursday 14 January 2010 11:43:17 Mark Copper wrote:
> I'm confused how a bug fix gets to a compiled package.
>
> In this case the last entry in "Debian Bug report logs - #520406" starts
> with
>
> Source: libdbd-mysql-perl
> Source-Version: 4.007-1+lenny1
>
> We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
> libdbd-mysql-perl, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:
>
> libdbd-mysql-perl_4.007-1+lenny1.diff.gz
>   to main/libd/libdbd-mysql-perl/libdbd-mysql-perl_4.007-1+lenny1.diff.gz
> libdbd-mysql-perl_4.007-1+lenny1.dsc
>   to main/libd/libdbd-mysql-perl/libdbd-mysql-perl_4.007-1+lenny1.dsc
> libdbd-mysql-perl_4.007-1+lenny1_i386.deb
>   to main/libd/libdbd-mysql-perl/libdbd-mysql-perl_4.007-1+lenny1_i386.deb

This is automatically sent to to bug address based on the changelog entry.  If
this is where it stopped, then this may have been sent by the i386 buildd.
I'm not quite sure which machine(s) are responsible for parsing the Changelog
and closing the bug.

The package has already been added to the pool on ftp.debian.org:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libd/libdbd-mysql-perl/

When fixing a bug for the current release, it is generally uploaded to stable-
proposed-updates.  It can be tested by users and DDs from there.  If there are
problems, the archive admins can manually remove it.  The next time stable is
updated, all the packages from stable-proposed-updates will be pulled in.

> Is this available to users now?  The source at debian.org is still listed
> as "Version: 4.007-1".

I don't use stable-proposed-updates, but since the package is already in the
pool, you can probably get it from there if you need it immediately.