Re: Which virtualization is the best for Debian?

Thank You for Your time suggestion and answer, Steve:

>> 1. vserver
>> 2. openvz
>> 3. something else
>
>  You need to say what you're using them for.  Otherwise people who have
> experience with vserver will say it rocks, people who use openvz will
> say that rocks, and people using Xen will say that's even better.

I want to separate diver services and make NAT to them - so that it be more secure in case if one of them will be hacked - I still can have control over the rest, I can control NAT also - thus turning off the hacked service completely while others will remain to function as before. So the main goal is security and separation. I just have seen a lot of debates around debian package for server and therefore thought - as I almost just start - it is the best for me point to avoid some already existing problems - for I do not want to compile my own kernels every time there will be an update for vserver/kernel (at the present I'm a bit acquainted w/ vserver only).

Also, I have heard that in vserver at turning down one of the vservers there is a mess w/ network interfaces - they are just re-enumerated - AFAIK. - That is not good for me - as I want to turn them up/down - as if it be a physical machine.

>  If you run Xen or KVM then each guest will be fully isolated and
> can run different kernels.

I know that KVM offers much less respond comparing w/ vserver. How about Xen? Can I turn the guests on/off on the fly?

>  Is that a good thing?  It depends what you're using the guests for,
> and how much overhead you want.

I want them to use for email, web, and do not know if proxy is any worth of to put in separate guest? - Nothing special.

>  In practise if you're doing "nothing special", such as just hosting
> apache & ssh, then all of them are about equal.  There is no single
> clear winner, and choosing will be a matter of:
>
>    * Which is easiest to install/manage/use.

Ok, what is the best here (relating for my tasks)? - If any had experience w/ several of them?
Why nobody says about packaging problem in Debian, net interfaces at guests turning off?!

> on "modern" (new) hardware.  So KVM wins.

I guess that KVM takes a lot of overload comparing w/ vserver - for for example spam filtering, virus scanning.

Thank You Steve, once again.