Re: OOo 3 dependency hell in Lenny backports

Dne, 14. 01. 2010 12:00:06 je Paul Cartwright napisal(a):
On Thu January 14 2010, Zhan wrote:
> For me, I have set backports with the highest priorities, so anything at > backports.org with a higher version number will be automatically installed.

I've never used backports. What packages are there that you use/need/want that
is newer/better than what you get out of Lenny??

For me, it's the mldonkey package (the backports version has support for more p2p protocols). However, I think the backports maintainers don't recommend using backports as a general catch-all, but preferably for specific packages only. For example, I once installed a backports kernel (2.30 and something) just for the heck of it, and discovered that it didn't have support for the proprietary fglrx ATI driver, so it was of no use to me. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend pinning backports with a higher priority to anybody but those who know extremely well what they're doing. On the other hand, those who know extremely well what they're doing have no need of my recommendations or advice anyway ... ;)

Just my 2 ¢.

--
Regards,

Klistvud