Re: Undefined video mode number: 314 --- OT question

Stephen Powell put forth on 1/13/2010 1:00 PM:
> On 2010-01-13 at 13:41:16 -0500, Paul E Condon wrote:
>> A different way of putting my question is: Is it really your eyes that
>> cannot detect, or is it that you mind that cannot perceive the
>> flicker?
>
> That's a good question.  I wish I had a good answer to go with it.
> Obviously, higher is better.  But if he wants a higher vertical
> refresh rate, he's either going to have to use a more capable video
> card or else live with lower resolution.  That's the bottom line.

Or he can do what the rest of the world is doing and buy a flat panel LCD
monitor, where no such thing as a vertical refresh rate exists, nor flicker, nor
eye fatigue.  Thus, he could keep his S3 card, running at the highest res and
color depth it will do at 60 Hz, which is the default input signal most DB15 VGA
port equipped LCD monitors expect to see.

I've used nothing but DVI and HDMI with LCDs, so I'm unsure, but, it may be
possible for him to run his S3 at a lower vertical Hz, like 56 or something, to
wring the maximum res and color depth out of his S3 card.  I'm guessing from the
situation that a new LCD probably isn't in the cards.

--
Stan