Re: removing mono in squeeze gnome [was: Re: No flamewar please!]

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:00:30AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:35:47PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm using gnome but want to remove all traces of mono from my system, I've a
> > clean install of Squeeze.
> >
> > Can I,
> >  apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy
> >
> > No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it. Tried
> > running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.
>
> In a typical Debian Squeeze / Sid desktop install, the reason Mono would
> be pulled is because the metapackage gnome depends on 'tomboy'.
> This will pull by default the package 'tomboy' (which is written in
> Mono). But can also be satisfied by gnote (written in c++).
>
> If you want to keep that metapackage but want to remove that mono
> dependency:
>
>   aptitude install gnote tomboy_
>
> Note the extra '_' after the name 'tomboy'. This means that the package
> should be purged rather than installed. If this is the only thing
> pulling Mono in, I expect this to also remove the Mono runtime
> libraries.

Now when I think about it, I expect that aptitude would have come up
with this as a solution for 'aptitude purge tomboy'. Maybe not the first,
but the second or third. If you don't like the resolution aptitude
suggests, reject it and ask it to provide you another one.