Re: dependency hell + I want to keep deb installation files local ...

Stephen Powell schreef:
On 2010-01-12 at 06:33:14 -0500, Clive Standbridge wrote:
apt-get/aptitude update do retrieve the package descriptions. You can
view them with e.g.
    apt-cache show xxx

I'm not in a position to test this right now, but I seem to remember that
when I used "apt-get update" or "aptitude update" that "dpkg-query -l"
would only list installed packages and that "dpkg-query -p xxx", where xxx
is a package name, would fail for a package that is not installed.  With
"dselect update", "dpkg-query -l" would list all packages, installed or
not (the installed ones would have an install status of "ii") and
"dpkg-query -p xxx" would work for any package in the archive, installed
or not.  I don't remember if I tested "apt-cache search" in this scenario,
but I use it less often than dpkg-query.
I don't know how to do it with apt-cache, but to find all installed packages with aptitude is easy:
  aptitude search ~i
then
  aptitude show packagename
will show package information, both for installed and not-installed packages.

Sjoerd