Re: Why aren't there time stamps in Xorg.log?

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:41:04 -0500, Borden Rhodes wrote:

> This is a question which nags at me whenever I try to figure out why
> something doesn't work in X. dmesg timestamps entries so when I'm going
> through trying to figure out why something crashed or didn't work like I
> naively expected it to, I can focus on the log entries around the time
> the event occurred. Ideally, I'd prefer these entries to be stamped with
> Gregorian dates and times instead of seconds since boot but that's
> another topic.
>
> Xorg.log (~/.xsession-errors, too, for that matter) doesn't timestamp
> entries. Therefore, when X crashes because I tried to use RandR or my
> video doesn't work properly, I get all of this fascinating information
> about how cleverly X figured out my screen resolution and refresh rates,
> but I don't know when they were added to Xorg.log so I don't know
> whether they are relevant to my investigation.

I thought "Xorg.0.log" entries were only written at start-up :-?

> Since, according to Google, I'm the first to ask this question, I'm
> guessing I'm misunderstanding the purpose of Xorg.log and that time
> stamps are counterproductive. Could someone please explain why this is
> the way that it is?

At least someone at Ubuntu filled a report for that exact purpose ;-)

x.org logging doesn't put timestamp on the log lines
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/285787

Greetings,

--
Camaleón