Re: Disallow other users from reading my $HOME

Dotan Cohen wrote at 2010-01-08 16:58 -0600:
> > Have you considered Samba?  I think you can set up a password-protected or
> > public share without adding a user to the system.
>
> Does that work over wifi?

Certainly.  If your computer is on the same network as his (both connected to
the same access point), Windows should list your computer in "Network Places"
or somesuch.  Or just use "Map Network Drive" and the address
"\\<yourip>\<sharename>".

> I figured that I would just give him the
> password to the already-existing "guest" user on this system and let
> him SSH in. He can figure out what to do with Putty on his Windows
> machine, I'm sure.

I would consider Samba to be more secure (other thoughts anyone?); I feel
cautious about giving someone a network-accessible shell.

Samba will limit access to a specific folder.