Re: CPU fan working more than it should

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:42 AM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
Dne, 07. 01. 2010 16:08:40 je George napisal(a):

On 1/7/10, Arthur Machlas <arthur.machlas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:50 AM, George <pinkisntwell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just installed Debian on my laptop and I notice that the CPU fan is
>> working much more than it used to work on windows. It must be that
>> Debian changed the temperature threshold. How can I change it back?

Apparently, ACPI implementations in laptops are buggy (or let's say non-standardized) more often than not. I suspect M$ must have several workarounds in place in order to run -- at least in general -- cooler and more power-savvy than GNU/Linux. These workarounds may well be industry secrets between M$ and the laptop vendors for all we know ... You may read a write up on my humble experience with a heated, noisy, jumpy laptop (gosh, sounds like my wife), by hopping over to the link provided at the end of my post; just look for the heading "Laptops in Heat". There you'll find more about ACPI, the thermal kernel module, the trip points and related stuff, and also some relevant links for further reading.

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
In addition to the info above, I use the PHC patch to allow undervolting of the CPU, or in my case CPUs. Without it on a default kernel my fan kicks in every 30 seconds or so. With it it doesn't kick in at all unless I do something like render video or compile a kernel. Haven't bothered to check the temp differences or do any real benchmarking.

Best,
Arthur