Grub 2

Hi,
I'm trying to install Debian Lenny on a new computer. I've only one IDE
port so I've put an old 120GB drive as master and a cd rom as slave. The
IDE is only really going to be used to store virtual oses on, and may
disappear at some point.

The main drives are 2x1Tb SATA drives, which has 300mb for boot on each,
then the rest is set up as RAID1, with all the partitions stored in an
LVM on this RAID setup.

I've set the motherboard to boot off the first of the SATA drives, the
one with the actual boot partition on. I intend to mirror these later
for redundancy. I'm fine when I use GRUB 0.97 as I can edit the debian
settings which always put hd(1,0) when as I'm booting and then have it
boot. Problem is, I want to use grub2 as the first thing I'm going to do
is upgrade to debian testing, which uses this. Because debian is
convinced the boot drive is hd(1,0) I get an error 15.

I'm trying to find out how to solve this, either by manually editing the
grub file on boot, or by rescuing the installation and then editing the
grub.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Jim