Re: apt-get source produces gpg error. Can't check signature: public key not found

On 2010-01-07 at 11:04:18 -0500, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Why do you run apt-get source as root?

I am used to being root when I run apt-get because this is required
when installing a binary package.  I assumed (perhaps incorrectly)
that installing a source package also required root privileges.
But since you're asking the question, that must not be the case.

On 2010-01-07 at 11:04:18 -0500, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Install the debian-keyring package.

Thank you!  That solves the problem.  But it requires 26M of disk space!
Wow!  It's just a collection of keys, right?  Why is it so big?
Are there THAT MANY Debian developers?

On 2010-01-07 at 11:04:18 -0500, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Because it is not necessary if you don't work with source packages.

Well, I guess that makes sense.  But apt does not recommend or
even suggest debian-keyring.  It seems to me that if one runs
"apt-get source" and debian-keyring is not installed, apt-get
should issue a warning message that debian-keyring is not installed.
Anyway, thanks for the help.  You hit the nail right on the head.