Re: How to fix ipaddress

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, J.H.Kim wrote:

Sometimes ip address is set to 192.168.0.7.
But somtimes ip address is set to 169.254.171.33
which is not set by me, and I don't konw why that address
is set to my ip address.
I want to set my ipaddress 192.168.0.7 always.

Please tell me how to fix that problem.

Hi. Addresses that start with 169.254 (169.254.0.0/16) are called 'link-local' addresses. They are allocated if a DHCP client fails to get an address from a server. The idea is that even if there is no DHCP server available hosts on a LAN can still talk to one another.

The /etc/network/interfaces you posted suggests you are using statically assigned addresses, however the presence of a link-local address suggests that a dhcp client is running on the box.

So I'd recommend figuring out if you have any dhcp client packages installed (dpkg, apt-get, aptitude) and seeing if they are running (ps aux | grep dh).

If you post further information, like the output of the ps command above, we can help you dig further.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com