Re: install -- netboot vs netinst vs businesscard Debian installer CDs

On 2010-01-01 at 13:51:59 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Here's a datapoint...
>
> Today I did the same for the PowerPC version of the netboot/mini.iso
> (13 MB) and used it to install squeeze on my testing PowerMac G4.
> Worked a treat.
>
> And what's really cool is that the businesscard and netinst CD's
> didn't work!  They boot OK, but get seg-faults as soon as the
> installer tries to start up.
>
> Go figure!

If you used the "production" version of the Squeeze installer you
were actually using the Lenny installer, since there has not been
an upload of the new Debian Installer code since Lenny became the
stable release.  For example, in the Debian archive,

dists/squeeze/main/installer-powerpc/current

is a symbolic link to

dists/lenny/main/installer-powerpc/current

I'm glad you found something that worked, but at this moment the
only versions of the Debian Installer that are approved for installing
Squeeze are the "daily builds" on the development pages for
Debian Installer.