Re: Having Grub2 use UUID instead of (hd0,1)?

* Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> [2009 Dec 28 04:42 -0600]:
> Hmm, didn't need to do anything special. The default config for grub2 in
> squeeze and sid has this:
>

> ,----[ /etc/default/grub ]
> | # Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
> | #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
> `----

That's not what I'm asking about.  My kernels use UUID just fine and I
don't want that to change.  I'm asking about having Grub use the UUID
instead of (hd0,1), etc.

In other words, and I should have done this initially, look at this
snippet from /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
set default=0
insmod ext2
set root=(hd1,1)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 85f5c3de-852d-43bf-a8cd-9001efb0d93c
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=640x480
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod vbe
  if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
    # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
    # understand terminal_output
    terminal gfxterm
  fi
fi
set locale_dir=/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en
insmod gettext
set timeout=10
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

Lines 4 and 5 seem to be in conflict with each other.  Why have a "set
root=(hd1.1)" line when the "search" line that follows specifies the
correct UUID?  My question was, how can I tell the scripts to not issue
the "set root" line and just use the "search" line with the UUID?  Will
Grub2 work with just the UUID (it would seem the Ubunutu folks should
have solved this already)?  To me it seems that using UUID should be
preferred.

While I like the probing features and automatic configuration in
general, I'd prefer that the more critical settings be overridden by my
required static defaults.

- Nate >>