Re: Mounting new hard disk in /dev/sdb

> >On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Jason Filippou <jason.filippou@gmail.com> wrote:
> >So I was
> > just wondering whether there was any way that I could plug in my new hard
> > drive and mount it on /dev/sdb

Careful!

<rant>
Define "new hard drive". What appears where in /dev is a function of your BIOS, the kernel, and udev.

If it's IDE, ATA, or ATAPI it shows up as a /dev/hd. And those seem to be nicely mapped to IDE controller number / master / slave.

Unless it's serial-ATA, of course, in which case it's a /dev/sd :-/

All SCSI, SATA, and USB are a /dev/sd -- which sd depends on what your BIOS sees first at boot. My (Dell) servers look at the USB ports first, so a USB stick becomes /dev/sda. Then it looks for SATA, and finally SCSI. The Sun box looks at SCSI first...

So when my grub config said to load / off /dev/sda<n> (Debian lenny installer default), and I accidentally left a USB stick in one of the ports, the machine wouldn't boot. I don't remember if (hd0) was hosed as well.

Oh. And the /dev directory is created by udev these days. It can name things anything it wants.
</rant>

It's much more repeatable to specify the filesystem's UUID (vol_id /dev/sd??) instead of the device node. In both grub's config and in fstab.

I've never tried it, but I don't think you can mount anything on /dev/sdb -- that's a device node, not a filesystem node. But you can mount /dev/sdb<n> on /mnt...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com