Re: email server

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On 2009-12-13, Paul Cartwright <paul@pcartwright.com> wrote:
so I have a DynDNS domain, that I have pointed to my router, and I want to make a mail server for that, to test with, get it setup, then I can move my REAL domain to it... All I want is a simple setup, 2-3 users, just to test incoming ( and outgoing) emails to a dnydns domain. What is the simplest, easiest setup I can do?

I don't know if it's the simplest or easiest, but the default email server,
exim4, should be pretty easy to set up as you describe. After installation run
'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' to be presented with a configuration wizard.

Yes, I'd recommend that. After the configuration has run, (most answers will be empty) you'll end up with this file, with similar entries:

# /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
#
# Edit this file and /etc/mailname by hand and execute update-exim4.conf
# yourself or use 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'
#
# Please note that this is _not_ a dpkg-conffile and that automatic changes
# to this file might happen. The code handling this will honor your local
# changes, so this is usually fine, but will break local schemes that mess
# around with multiple versions of the file.
#
# update-exim4.conf uses this file to determine variable values to generate
# exim configuration macros for the configuration file.
#
# Most settings found in here do have corresponding questions in the
# Debconf configuration, but not all of them.
#
# This is a Debian specific file

dc_eximconfig_configtype='internet'
dc_other_hostnames='jretrading.com:domain2.com:domain2.co.uk'
dc_local_interfaces=''
dc_readhost=''
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
# this needs to be true if you're not running a local DNS server, but
# that's not likely if you're running a mail server.
dc_relay_nets='192.168.99.0/24:192.168.115.0/24'
dc_smarthost=''
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname=''
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'

As stated, you can hand-edit this to look sensible then run the update-exim4.conf utility. Restart exim4. Your last entry will look different, I've altered mine from the default as I use IMAP. If you've chosen a different mail server than exim4, I assume there will be some equally simple setup, but you may not get too much help here for it.

You can split the task of testing if you have the use of an external Internet connection, possibly over ssh: you can connect to your own server by IP address or by name using telnet. Apologies for the source of this, but it's what I frequently quote to people needing to test mail servers, and it seems accurate, just ignore references to Exchange:

 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119

Having said that, it doesn't mention that some mail servers need angle brackets < > around the From and To email addresses. Any valid domain will work for the HELO or EHLO command, and you can make use of this for testing if you later configure exim4 to filter on the HELO string.

--
Joe