Re: Debian 5.0 & 64 bits

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:32:12 +0000, amka wrote:

> I am going to buy a new computer and wonder what is the best for 64bits.
> AMD or Intel ?

Both are a great option for 64 bits :-)

> Could someone give me please an advice ?
>

> I have actualy an AMD Opteron and the idea is, for the moment, to buy :
>
>   - CPU           AMD       Opteron 1356
>   - Motherboard   Tyan      Tomcat n3400B (S2925-E)
>   - Memory        Kingston  KVR800D2E6K2/4G  (2x kit of 2x2GB = 8GB)
>
> Perhaps somebody have an experience with some of that.

- CPU: I like processors having a low thermal design power, whenever
possible (<=65W).

- Motherboard: Tyan is one of the bests MB manufacturers out there.
Indeed, targeted to high-end workstations and servers.

- RAM: Just buy a combo of brand/model recommended (tested and certified)
by the MB manufacturer to avoid problems.

So overall, I find your selection very good :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón