Re: Unstable Update Caused Issue?

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:43:34 +0530, Hrishikesh Murali in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> --000e0cd157eede9278047a580781
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:34 AM, S. Fishpaste
><SDA@deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Upon restart this morning the system doesn't accept either my root or user
>> credentials.
>> Any suggestions on fixing this? Thanks!
>>

> Well, during boot up, in the grub menu :
> 1) Press 'e' in either of the options.
> 2) Go to the kernel menu item and again press 'e'.
> 3) Press 'end' and then remove 'ro single' or 'ro quiet splash' depending on
> the menu item you selected, and type 'rw init=/bin/bash'.
> 4) Now, press 'b' and let it boot. You will get a root shell. Now, type
> 'passwd' and change the password.
>
> These steps are clearly available if you go to google and type 'reset debian
> root password'. No offense, but next time please check upon the topic on the
> internet or atleast google and then ask a question in the mailing list.

Yes I did and usually do; For some reason I was unable to find the correct
query phrase (usually happens when one is in a panic lol) hence no useable
results, unfortunately. 8-)

I thank-you very much for your accurate answer, kind sir!

Now I wonder if I was the only one hit with this occurence, after updating
unstable recently ...

--
Regards,
S. Fishpaste