Re: Problems with Xorg in squeeze after update

Hi, Tony.

On Tuesday, 08 December 2009 15:17:04 -0500,
Tony Nelson wrote:

> > I was testing with driver "vesa". I slightly change the
> > configuration in xorg.conf.new to test and I add some modes because
> > when doing the test I get the message 'not valid modes':
>
> > This is the (very long) /var/log/Xorg.0.log file:
> > (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
> > (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
> > (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
> > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
> > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC Level none
> > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 0 sec.
> > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC read failed
> > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE PanelID read successfully
> > (II) VESA(0): PanelID returned panel resolution -494x-29972
>
> This can't be good.  Resolution should be positive numbers.
>
> > (II) VESA(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 31.50--1849.09 kHz
>
> This can't be good.  Frequencies should be positive numbers.

> I think you have to file a bug.  Be prepared to supply lots of info,
> including Xorg logs for both drivers.

This is truly problematic for my, because it is my workstation of house
which I use also to work in my house.

I don't know if there is to use some type of standard structure to
provide information, but the problem that you comment only seems to be
with 'vesa' drivers rather than 'nv' and 'nvidia', although with these
other two I could not either make work X.

> Umm, don't recall, have you tried "nomodeset" as a kernel param during
> boot?

I'm not using that kernel parameter. Would have to try it or you asked
to me because this parameter can cause problems?

I'm using GRUB2. I not yet know much on the configuration of this GRUB
version, but apparently it is only being applied 'noapic' and 'quiet'
according to I see in /etc/default/grub:

defiant:~# cat /etc/default/grub
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via
# VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to
# Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entrys
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37