Re: Permission denied when tweaking various /proc knobs (Lenny)

On 2009-12-06 06:22 +0100, Brian Ryans wrote:

> I am attempting to adjust brightness via '/proc/acpi/ibm/brightness',
> but I get permission denied if I do it via sudo -- I have to su to root
> in order to do the adjustments. Log at [1].
>
> [1]
> bryans@esterhazy:~$ sudo echo up > /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness

This does not work because it is your shell, not sudo, that does the
redirection, as you can see in the error message:

> bash: /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness: Permission denied

Use one of the following commands:

$ echo up | sudo tee /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness
$ sudo sh -c "echo up > /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness"

See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Downsides%20of%20using%20sudo.

Sven