Re: fetchmail + exim + winmail.dat

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 19:11:22 +0800, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> I use fetchmail to fetch my email around the Internet, exim as local
> smtp, and Thunderbird to read them: what is the best Debian way to
> manage `winmail.dat' files ?

That kind of files are usually generated by Outlook MUA. And there are
(at least to my knowledge) two kind to "winmail.dat" files:

1/ Mail formatting ones
When Outlook users make use of rtf formatting (mails created within MS
Word editor), it is attached across the e-mail that file, which only
other Outlooks can manage properly (that is, kmail or Thunderbird just
displays the file attached to the e-mail).

Usually contains no useful info (just message formatting, no content)

2/ Calendar cites
Another "winmail.dat" files are just the way Outlook sends appointments
to another users via e-mail (I wish I knew a way I can make Outlook to
send an ".ical" file). These files are important as they contain starting
and ending dates for tasks or appointments so better do not miss these
ones :-)

Kmail can "read" these files (by means of "ktnef") but under Gnome I
dunno what program can read them. I am using a java utility to access
their content.

Anyway, you have more information about this here:

Winmail.dat attachments
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Winmail.dat_attachments

Greetings,

--