Re: Migrating to Grub2 deletes kernel automagic updates and other settings

Dne, 03. 12. 2009 20:15:40 je Chris Jones napisal(a):

> What always bothers me with boot loaders is that they need a system
> configure & manage them. Now, in a multi-boot system, the next
> question
> is which one?

Actually, from this point of view, Grub2 is a step in the right
direction: as opposed to Grub Legacy, it has an "os-prober" script
which re-configures your boot menu, incorporating all the OSes on all
your partitions it can find. So, it's not the "last installed" system
that configures your boot menu as in Grub legacy, overriding any
previous boot loaders. In Grub2 *you* get to choose which of your
systems will configure your boot loader. Well, at least, that's the
idea ;)

On an unrelated note, for those who are struggling in vain to make
Grub2 boot graphics ("splashimages") work: the update-grub script in
Lenny, for some reason or other, doesn't propagate the GRUB_GFXMODE
variable from /etc/default/grub. That's why using the ${GRUB_GFXMODE}
variable in  /etc/grub.d/00_header simply won't work. You have to set
gfxmode literally, as in:

<snip>
set gfxmode=1400x1050
<pins>

The following (at least on my Lenny system) won't work:

<snip>
set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
<pins>

although you may have a perfectly defined GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/
grub. In addition, not all jpeg images will work with Lenny's Grub2 (if
you have such a problematic jpg, just convert it to png and it should
work).

--
Regards,

Klistvud