Re: Slow connections in Debian squeeze

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 01:06:49 +0100
Nick Douma <n.douma@nekoconeko.nl> wrote:

> To further elaborate, when I send a message in Thunderbird, I notice
> that the "sending message" dialogue spends most of its time in the
> "Looking up server" stage. After that, the mail itself is sent in a
> split second.
>
> Did something change in the way Debian handles DNS lookups since Lenny?

Without knowing what you tried, it's difficult to know what to suggest,
but here are some things to consider:

I)	Try different DNS servers (perhaps OpenDNS)
II)	Try a DNS cacher (dnsmasq)
III)	Do something simple, like 'dig somesite', from the command
line, preferably repeatedly, and report the response times (dig itself
will report ';; Query time: n msec')

Celejar