Re: Installing debian on a multiple disk system (LVM)

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM, S Scharf <ss11223@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Mathieu Malaterre
> <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>>  For the first time I am trying to install debian on a system with
>> multiple disk. I was hoping that the debian installed would be kind
>> enough with me to as to propose to group all those physical volume
>> into a single LVM group. So that I could just do as usual and spli
>> this LVM volume group.
>>
>>  Could someone please let me know how to do that ? I think I should
>> be able to simply group those disk into a single LVM group (and then
>> later resize as needed).
>>
>> Thanks !
>> --
>> Mathieu
>>

> I've never tried that but you should be able to do it from an expert install
> with the
> manual partition option

No that was a user-mistake. You should leave the installer do a first
'guided partitioning', then you have access to the software RAID
partionning. Then for each disk that is marked 'FREE SPACE' you need
to select it and state 'use for RAID'.
Once all physical volume are setup as RAID, select the RAID entry
(should be the first before the physical disk), then setup your LVM
volume group on it.

I cannot believe this is free software :)
--
Mathieu