Xorg epilepsy?

Hi all,

Recently (in the past couple of weeks) my laptop with Debian squeeze
installed starting getting epilepsy when I close the lid and open it
again. By epilepsy I mean the screen flashes as everything redraws
constantly and the mouse cursor jumps diagonally back and forth. Happens
no matter which desktop system I'm using (even Failsafe Terminal).
Happens when I have a virtual console active instead of Xorg. Restarting
gdm/Xorg doesn't help, the new Xorg does it too. I downgraded to
versions of xorg, xorg intel drivers, linux and hal that didn't have
this issue but that didn't help. I currently have KMS disabled due to
issues with suspend/resume. Windows XP does not suffer the same issue.
Does anyone have any ideas about how to debug this? Is it a known bug?
Which package could be at fault? Did I somehow damage my hardware?

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400, more info here:

http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/Inspiron6400/lenny

lspci:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

lspci -n:

00:02.0 0300: 8086:27a2 (rev 03)
00:02.1 0380: 8086:27a6 (rev 03)

--