CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED

I was fixing a problem with my root login and Orbit/Gnome. One of the things that was recommended was to do

apt-get upgrade && apt-get update

Somehow in the process of doing that, there were some changes to the kernel. Now when I try to boot, I get the message "... update kernel or disable CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPECATED...". I went into /boot and edited config_2.6.26_2-amd64 and changed the "y" to "n" for both CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED and CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2, but the error message remains. I can boot into single user mode and access the system, but I can't do a complete system boot. It hangs on the CPUFreq part. I would like to get my laptop back without completely rebuilding the OS.

Any suggestions?

Giff