Re: The purchase of a new laptop on debian

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 22:56 +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a knew laptop. I have been recommended by a few
> people to look at the Lenovo thinkpad X 200 and t 400/500. What are your
> thoughts on these systems? What is positive, what is negative?

As this website has not been mentioned:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

It contains a plethora of information on TP+Linux and is a valuable
resource. Thinkpads are well supported under linux and a lot of things
just work. You might want to check support for very new hardware though.

It is also nice that IBM/Lenovo let you download their service manuals,
so you always know that if something breaks and your computer is out of
warranty you'll get all the information you need on how to fix it.

Which model to recommend? Hmm, tough question and each model has its
merits. I am happy with a 14" T60 and have no problem whatsoever in
carrying that around. I just *need* a higher resolution than anything
like 1024*768 ... and honestly: If you *really* care about portability
get yourself a netbook, a small Homeserver and a decent uplink.

If I were you I would probably get a T500 with the best display
available in terms of resolution and brightness. Remember that you can
always replace components like the HDD and RAM, but that replacing the
display is a bit more work. (still possible). You might also want to
get yourself an on-site warranty plan and live happily ever after.

--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
 : :'  :