Re: Default configuration file for X server?

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:45:17 +0530, Hrishikesh Murali wrote:

> I am Hrishikesh Murali, a new member to this list. I have debian
> installed as a virtual machine on my laptop having resolution 1280x800,
> and by default without any graphics driver it uses a built-in
> configuration for the X session. This is a snippet from my log file :
>
> <snipped>
> (==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
>        Section "Device"
>                Identifier      "Builtin Default vesa Device 0" Driver
>                "vesa"
>        EndSection
>        Section "Screen"
>                Identifier      "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0" Device
>                "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
>        EndSection
>        Section "Device"
>                Identifier      "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0" Driver
>                "fbdev"
>        EndSection
>        Section "Screen"
>                Identifier      "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0" Device
>                "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
>        EndSection
>        Section "ServerLayout"
>                Identifier      "Builtin Default Layout" Screen  "Builtin
>                Default vesa Screen 0" Screen  "Builtin Default fbdev
>                Screen 0"
>        EndSection
> (==) --- End of built-in configuration --- <snipped>

Your VM is using "VESA" driver.

> My questions are:
> 1) Where is this default configuration specified?

It is set "on-the-fly" :-)

Anyway, you can always make a /etc/X11/xorng.conf file and put there any
configuration you need.

2) There are three
> screens specified in the log, which one is used by default?

The one is active, I'd guess the laptop's embedded one.

"xrandr -q" will tell you more about your detected screens.

> The default resolution of my screen in my debain VM is 1280x1024, but my
> laptop resolution is 1280x800. I am not able to view the desktop
> properly in my VM. Any suggestions are welcome.

Maybe "1280x800" is no a supported resolution by VESA driver :-?.

You will need to install "guest-additions" in your VM so your virtual
machine can use a better vga driver.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón