Re: virus on linux?

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 01:33, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

> Don't forget about the *.desktop files that several desktop environments
> use to launch programs from their deskop.  They can execute files
> without the "x" permission set.  Although I think one of the major DE's
> fixed that security hole (but I can't remember which).

I think that was the proof of concept someone mentioned.

For security there's Bastille linux, which (i guess) is similar to
harden_suse - does a lot of little changes to harden your system. I
didn't really like it, but it might be worth a try. Using an IDS
wouldn't be a bad idea also, tutorials abound.

I think it's worth repeating that even without privilege escalation, a
compromised user account could do a lot of damage - spambot for one.

--
()  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail