Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday 10 November 2009 10:46:50 Wolodja Wentland wrote:
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 17:29 +0100, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
comply with recommendations, you can use the User Agent plugin
to have Iceweasel report a different User-Agent string.
Which is a solution for some people, but a a lot of users don't
care about User Agents or might not even know about Iceweasel plugins.

I would welcome a new default UA that enables non tech savvy user to use
Iceweasel on Debian in the same way they used Firefox on Windows. Let's
not alienate these people by making it harder for them than it is
already.

Debian has two choices: 1. Use the same user-agent as Firefox. 2. Use a different user-agent from Firefox.

The first is a non-option. Iceweasel does not follow Mozilla's trademark usage guidelines. If it uses the Firefox trademark and Debian distributes it, Debian could be sued into non-existence.

I don't see how the UA string would be related to the Firefox trademark. Besides, there's a loooong history of browsers declaring themselves to be other competing browsers via the UA string, with no lawsuits ever resulting.