Re: Re (2): OpenVPN

On Sunday, 01 November 2009 10:58:02 -0700,
peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> Daniel,

Hi, Peter.

> > Now I'm doing tests but this time with the OpenVPN server in the
> > office and a client in my house.

> I don't understand the distinction of server and
> client.  For my tunnel, are the roles of home and
> UBC not symmetrical?

I believe that it depends on the configuration that one has. For a Road
warrir configuration as it is my case, the client only can access to any
host pertaining to the local network of the server, and only the server
can access to the client. In a network-to-network configuration, from
any host in the local network of an office can be arrived at any other
host from the local network from another office and vice versa.

> > # route add -net 10.8.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.0.0.38

> Route settings in the openvpn configuration
> should serve.  Try routing to one machine on
> the remote LAN.  Example to reach 10.8.0.3
> via the tunnel.
> route 10.8.0.3

I tell you that I could solve it days ago reading some passages of the
OpenVPN Howto [1].

Point was to have in host where OVPN server was installed enabled IP
forwarding (it already was) and to add a Netfilter rule so that the
server realises masquerading (that was what it was lacking):

# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

It was not necessary to add some static route in firewall, then I remove
it.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] http://www.openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#redirect
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37