Re: a cautionary tale w/ successful recovery

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 07:08:00PM -0500, Andrew Reid wrote:
>>   For the sysems I back up at work, we do the dpkg --get-selections
>> thing, but I've never kept a copy of the boot sector -- that's an
>> excellent idea.

I guess the 'state of the art' way of recording a list of installed
packages, nowadays is

# aptitude -F "%p" search '~i!~M' > package-list

You can then just install like

# aptitude install $(cat pacage-list)

dpkg --get-selections does not distinguish between packages installed
manually or automatically, so that information is lost on the reinstall.
 The search pattern just looks for packages that were installed
manually. The install will automatically install all dependencies.

> If I had managed to understand what was going on between the part
> where the MBR got munched and other bits started flying out to the
> disk, it would have worked to just rewrite the MBR and reboot.

There is also testdisk to help recover the mbr for you... Worked for me
once.

--
Johannes

Three nations have not officially adopted the International System
of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma,
Liberia, and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_units